Concord Campus

An Overview

This sequence begins with the first entrance to the new campus as it appeared in 1912 (below), followed by photographs of the first buildings. There are aerial photographs taken in 1940, 1954, the mid 1960s and the late 1970s. Near the end are recent photos of the entrance, taken 100 years after the first.

« Back

Entrance to the new campus in 1912. Note the Vermillion Homeplace in the distance. (See "Vermillion Homeplace Demolished" in this section.) Campus View, 1912:  The Administration Building, the first building to occupy the new 26.4-acre campus, shown here soon after its construction was completed in Spring of 1912. Campus View, 1916:  The Administration Building with its new auditorium wing completed in 1916.  Also shown are "The Pines", planted in Spring of 1915 as a wind break by Mr. Delford Cottrill's agriculture and botany classes, and later to grow to become a noted feature of "The Campus Beautiful". Campus View, 1921:  The new residence hall for women (McComas Hall), the second building added to the new campus, shown here under construction in 1921 prior to first being occupied on April 4, 1922.  Campus View, 1922:  Panorama of the campus with its two buildings, McComas Hall and the Administration Building (Old Main), separated by "The Pines".
Campus View, 1924:  The Gymnasium (far right), first used in May of 1924, became the third building added to the new campus.  Note the Pines and the location of the street entrance to McComas Hall.  Also during this decade, Sam Holroyd Hall, the second dormitory for men, would later be acquired and completed in 1926 off-campus at the corner of Vermillion and Cooper Streets, near the vantage point of this view of campus.  (1924 Pine Tree) Campus View, 1940:  This first aerial panorama ever made of the campus showed the growth of the campus from the oldest building (Old Main) through 1940.  Campus projects completed during the decade of the 1930s included the addition of a left wing of the gymnasium building (1930), an upgrading of the existing athletic field (1932), and the construction of the Natatorium (1936), Sarvay Hall (1937), and White Hall (1939).  Note the construction of the new library is underway in 1940.  In the foreground on Faculty Hill, new residential housing for members of the college's administration and faculty included the President's House (1932) and five residences for families of faculty members and administrative officers (1936). Campus View, 1954:  Aerial photograph from the 1954 Pine Tree showing the campus with its newest additions that were made over the period 1941-1951, including the library (1941), barracks and trailers to house veterans and their families (1946), two quonset hut classroom buildings (1947), the music building (1947), the Home Management building (1948), and the new Science Hall (1951).  Grading is shown underway for the new athletic field (Callaghan Stadium), which was completed in 1956. Campus View, Mid 1960s:  Aerial view of campus east of the new men's dormitory (Wooddell Hall). Campus View, Mid 1960s:  Aerial view of McComas Hall, Sarvay Hall, and Wilson Hall before Twin Towers were constructed.
Campus View, Mid 1960s:  Panoramic view of the campus with its next group of additions completed over the period 1956-1963, including Callaghan Stadium (1956), College Courts (1958-1962), Wilson Hall (1962), Wooddell Hall (1962), and the College Center (1963).   Closer views are shown in the next two slides. Campus View, Mid 1960s:  Left (west) frame of panorama. Campus View, Mid 1960s:  Right (east) frame of panorama. Campus View, Late 1970s:  Concord College postcard publicizing $15.2-Million of construction of modern facilities, including a new $3-Million Alexander Arts Center for Art, Music, and Theater (1969), a new $5-Million Residence Hall Complex (1969), and a new #3-Million Health and Physical Education Building (1972).  The Witherspoon Park faculty housing complex (1970) is also shown. Campus entrance in 2011.
Concord College becomes Concord University in 2004.