Bank of Athens
The Bank of Athens was chartered on January 25, 1905. Its incorporators were A. T. Maupin, R. G. Meador, H. M. Shumate, J. K. Lilly and J. F. Holroyd. Business began on April 7, 1905, with Capital Stock of $ 25,000. Since the Bank of Athens was founded, it has conducted its business in three different locations in Athens. In 1905, it opened in a room rented from Dr. D. H. Thornton for $6 per month. In 1921, the Bank moved into a new two-story brick building which was built on a site previously occupied by the Shumate Store. On December 16, 1974, the it moved to its present facilities on a site previously occupied by the Athens Baptist Church parsonage and the John Bailey house. Read more by clicking below.