First Dormitory for Women
Built in 1891
The first CSNS dormitory for women was built in 1891 on land donated by William Holroyd on North State Street. The three-story frame building was large enough to accommodate sixty girls and featured long verandas surrounding two sides of the building at each story so that the windows of each room opened upon them. In addition to the bedroom suites, the rooms were carpeted and completely furnished to accommodate two girls, and the bathrooms were all located on the second floor. The lawn was graded to provide a playground for tennis, basketball and croquet.