Sam Holroyd Hall
Developed as the Second Concord State Normal School Dormitory for Men
Development of this second CSNS dormitory for men began as a private enterprise by Miss Ada Pauley who purchased the corner lot on September 18, 1922 on which she intended to build an off-campus, hotel-style dormitory for men across the street from the new campus. After running into financial difficulty, she abandoned the project and sold her right, title and interest in the property on November 17, 1923 to H. A. Lucas, who in turn, conveyed the property to H. G. McGraw and C. M. Jennings on January 15, 1924. During the administration of Dr. George West Diehl, the State Board of Control purchased the property with its improvements from McGraw and Jennings on August 15, 1925 in consideration of $5,000 cash paid in hand and an additional $13,000 to be paid along with 6% interest on July 1, 1926. The three-story cream-colored brick building was completed in Summer of 1926 in time for occupancy at the beginning of the 1926-27 school year. An attractive interior featured polished hardwood floors and mahogany-finished woodwork. Forty rooms accommodated from sixty-five to seventy-five men on the second and third floors. On the first floor, a large banquet hall was also the scene of many social gatherings including receptions and dances. In the basement was the Tea Room offering a light fare menu and refreshments for afternoon and evening social hours, with special attention offered to fraternities and sororities. Sam Holroyd Hall was used as a dormitory for men from 1926 until 1939, after which it was used primarily to house the Home Economics Department, the college infirmary, and families of several faculty members. The building was named in honor of Athens resident and physician Dr. Samuel Reynolds Holroyd.