Third Athletic Field
Developed in 1932
In 1932, during the administration of President Joseph F. Marsh, Sr., a new athletic field was constructed on the site of the previous one and featured a football gridiron, a baseball diamond, a standard track and four surfaced tennis courts. Seating accommodations for the spectators were portable bleachers, which during the football season were erected on the football field, and during the basketball season, they were erected in the old gymnasium. This new (third) field was dedicated on Saturday, October 8, 1932 with a 12-0 loss to Appalachian State Teachers College. The following week, it was re-dedicated with a 13-0 win over Morehead College. The last football season played on this field was a winning 5-4-0 season in 1955. In football, the last homecoming game played on this field was a 19-0 win over Fairmont, the last game won on this field was a 7-6 win over Potomac State, and the last game played on this field was a 13-6 loss to Maryville.